What better time to take on those outstanding DIY jobs and upcycling crafts than a bank holiday weekend. With four days of free time ahead you have got the chance to shop, prepare and pull off some impressive home improvements. From tiny decorative touches to bigger jobs that need more attention, roll up your sleeves and get handy!
If the onset of spring has you reaching for the nearest paint brush then the bank holiday weekend is a great time to make a big dent in one of your decorating goals. With a bit of forward planning and pre-shopping, you can use the long weekend to spruce up your living space with a feature wall or even decorate a hallway.
Make sure you get all your essentials before you start by checking the Easter bank holiday opening hours, then read our top tips for choosing the perfect colour for your walls - paint will look different in every room depending on light, size and finish. If you're feeling the itch but need a bit of inspiration we've got some great weekend decorating projects for you to try.
- Easy living room updates you can do in a weekend
- 7 beautiful ways to dress windows
- Style guide to dressing a bay window
- How to choose the perfect curtains
- Paint: The essential guide
- How to wallpaper a chimney breast
- The latest wallpaper trends
- From pink to pistachio: Decorating with colour
- Shelving ideas for beautiful book displays
- 9 ways to create a walk-in wardrobe
Plus win the ultimate Bosch DIY and garden tool kit
We've teamed up with Bosch to offer a mega bundle of power tools worth £1000, perfect for tackling those DIY and gardening jobs over the bank holiday. Bosch cordless tools are powered by a single battery in the same voltage system, allowing you to move easily between jobs inside and outside.
Whether it's finally fixing that dripping tap or adding more storage with shelving, getting your hands dirty is a thrifty and satisfying way to give your home a fresh new look and feel.
If you're planning a major home improvement like a new kitchen extension or a bathroom refit the bank holiday provides valuable time get a closer look at the details that can make or break a project. Let us give you a head start with our shopping picks of the best taps, splashbacks and kitchen unit doors, plus these budget bathroom suites. Then check out our buyers' guides to kitchen worktops and fitted furniture.
For more instant gratification there are lots of ways to improve your home in a few days, from retiling a floor to hanging a new favourite wallpaper.
- How to lay floor tiles
- How to change a tap washer
- Video: How to hang wallpaper
- How to transform your walls with panelling
- How to hang pictures
- Our best shelving storage ideas
- How to put up floating shelves
- How to fit a decorative centrepiece
- How to lighten beams
- How to wallpaper a chimney breast
- 5 things you need to know when you're cleaning out your loft
CRAFT AND UPCYCLING IDEAS
There's nothing as satisfying as transforming a piece of furniture destined for the scrap heap into a beautiful new item for your home, so if you have some time to spare why not try one of our 10 of the best upcycling ideas anyone can do! We've also got bags of crafty projects for every skill level, from quick-sew textiles to pretty country accessories.
- Upcycling and craft projects
- 3 craft ideas for blackboard paint
- Painting furniture - our favourite projects
- How to make a Roman blind
- How to make bunting
- How to cover a lampshade with fabric
- How to make a paper windmill
- How to make candles in teacups
- How to make an envelope cushion
- How to cover a lampshade with wallpaper
- How to make a pretty hanging heart
- How make a floral peg bag
- How to make a roll-up blind
- 10 gorgeous table setting ideas
- 10 of the best easy furniture transformations
- How to make Swedish blinds
Sometimes transforming your environment can be as simple as a good clear out, tackling the spring deep clean or maximising your space. Before you start putting energy into beautifying your home we've got some words of wisdom to make light work of the dirty jobs!
- Our ultimate cleaning tips
- How to sort out your paperwork
- The A to Z of stain removal
- How to clean wooden flooring
- How to clean a washing machine
- How to remove a stain from an oak worktop
- 6 natural spring cleaning hacks
Take the time to get outside this bank holiday, not only will you blow away the cobwebs but you'll reap the rewards in the warmer months by getting your garden in order early.
Chosen byHouse to Home